Ahhh. A couple of hours shy from that faithful moment where there will be no turning back, where I will have to tell myself, “Goldy, you’re 24”. Then, one or two hours before that moment, I will have finally had the opportunity to live the lyrics of Incubus’s Promises: “I’m only 23 for another hour, give or take. I’m a fan of yours and I need a good mistake”. Yeah, I’m totally going to have that as my status message when I get there.
I’m happy. I think I’m happy. At this point in time, I feel elated with life. It hasn’t been easy, that’s for sure. It does seem that things are working out and falling into place somehow.
And now, for purposes of self-improvement, I’ll try to come up with 24 resolutions as I enter my 24th year of life. And hey, other people have done this and I kind of want to do the same thing.
- Embody the mantra: “Imma blow their socks off”. Things getting a little challenging? I’ll tell myself, “I shall not fret, for Imma blow their socks off”.
- I will build and grow roots. A mentor gave this piece of advice to me once. Life for me has been fairly transient ever since I left my hometown to study college in the metro and continued to work here. Maybe it’s high time for me to grow roots and think on a more long-term mindset.
- I will try to look beyond the ideal and entertain the real. I admit, I’ve been brainwashed by Disney fairy tales. Universe, I shall try to find the fantasy amidst the ordinary.
- I will focus on things I feel passionate about. It’s shit scary, taking leaps of faith to pursue passions. I’ll give this a try sometime.
- I will not allow digital cobwebs to reek into my e-book reader. There is so much to learn and so much to experience. I shall devote more time to living and learning through the words of others.
- I will dive in, take risks and validate my passions. I will continue to learn the language that I fell in love with. I will learn for the sake of learning. I will go back to school.
- I will devote more time to learning. “The more I live, the more I learn, the more I learn, the more I realize the less I know.” — Michel Legrand
- I shall revive the entrepreneur in me. I’ll never know unless I give it a try. Small business, big business, it’s all business.
- I will continue to be young at heart. Funny how I’ve always perceived myself to be an old soul, but the people I’ve been hanging out with lately are mostly younger than me.
- I will continue to be amazed with the world. So little time, so much to do. The universe just makes me want to fall in love with it even more.
- I will do things with meaning. Bucket list scratch-off activities are so much more significant when there is weight put to it, and not merely done for the sake of saying I’ve been there, or I’ve done that.
- I will choose the people I trust. This is a hard lesson I’ve learned recently. Shame on you if you fool me once; shame on me if you fool me twice.
- I will transition from being a person of plot to being one of character. 23 was a year full of firsts. I couldn’t be any more grateful! This time, I suppose I’m not getting any younger, so I should put a tad bit more priority to matters that dwell on character-building.
- I will be more disciplined. In my pursuit of reaching my ambitions, I have to allocate my time wisely, I now realize.
- I will follow through. I shall muster the courage to grab scarexciting opportunities by the balls.
- I will be more and more grateful for each and every day. Yup, the glass is getting fuller and fuller.
- I will listen more and talk less. I shall be a dry sponge, eager to get drenched in the knowledge I get in others.
- I will continue to imbibe the mindset of a globetrotter. The world will be my oyster.
- I will deepen my practice in Yoga. “Even so large as the universe outside is the universe within the lotus of the heart” – Chandogya Upanishad
- I will try thinking for someone else’s state first before my own. Being reared to do things on my own, it’s been a default mindset to look out for my own interests first. It would be interesting to look out for someone else’s for a change.
- I will be open – to the thoughts of other minds, and to the different things of the universe.
- I will be more ambitious. Aim high, hit high.
- I will explore being on the road of least resistance. I shall channel inspiration from the status-quo.
- I will execute on my self-proclaimed “reacher” label. For I do not settle, and I will never, ever settle.
Life just keeps getting more and more exciting. Cheers.